Miter and Crosier Apple Cinnamon Treats
Bishops wear a special hat called a miter and carry a staff known as a crosier. This fun snack celebrates how St. Patrick was a bishop, and comes in the form of a delicious apple cinnamon treat! This recipe makes about 24 staffs; 1 apple yields 4 bishop hats.
- Pie crust dough
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cinnamon/sugar mixture
- Green apples
- Lemon juice
- Roll the pie crust into long coils (the shape of crosiers) and place on a greased cookie sheet. Brush the pie crust with the beaten egg, then sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- To make the miters, slice the apple into quarters, and trim the edges to make them more triangular in shape.
- Using a knife or peeler, carefully carve out a cross shape from the peel in the center of each slice.
- Toss in a little lemon juice to keep the apple from browning.