- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 dried chilis, minced
- 3 cups assorted
- Vegetables (carrots, green beans, cabbage)
- chopped and mixed together
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 yellow onions, minced
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- In a large pot, fry the onions, garlic, and chilis in vegetable oil until golden.
- Add the tomato paste, half of the combined vegetables, and 1 cup stock. Stir well, season with salt and pepper, and simmer on low heat for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add 2 cups vegetable stock and 2 cups of rice to the vegetable sauce. Stir in the rice.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes. Arrange the remaining vegetables on top of the rice, and continue to simmer until the rice absorbs all the stock and is cooked. You may need to add additional water to help the rice cook. Serve hot.
Courtesy of CRS’s Operation Rice Bowl 2008
© 2008 Jupiterimages Corporation.